Tuesday, October 22, 2019

Archive 3.3 - Eater of the Dead Part 3 - Monsters and Special Units


First up we have the Zombie Pygmy Spearmen from Conquest Miniatures. These guys played the role of Ghouls in the Ankhara campaign because it was before Crocodile Games had those minis available. Now they might act as another Warrior Mummy unit or even as Death Cultists. 




The Musician has done duty in Horde Mummy units as has the Standard Bearer.

The Spearman Chief, above. I really love these figures and should have gotten more when they were available.
Our first monster of the post, the Scarab Ogre! This was one of the first of these hefty metal chunks in the wild. He made his debut at an Ankhara game in Greenwood Indiana at the Game Preserve. I painted some vaguely skull-like markings on his back but they're a little too subtle unless you know what you're looking for.

More Pygmy Zombies, this time the Archer unit. This unit is not complete (there are 4 more to be painted that will be finished up soon- for real). These guys mostly filled in for the Warrior Mummy Archers before that unit was up to strength.


Above, another Standard that has done duty with Horde Mummy units. Below, another Pygmy Zombie Hero or Champion, he was part of the unit filling in for Ghouls during the Ankhara campaign.

The Pygmy Zombie Blowpipe/Archer Captain, above.
The Haunted Chariot of Hemati! A converted GW Tomb Kings Chariot thanks to Dave W. talking me into going in on a box with him during the Ankhara Campaign. I had no idea what I was doing with this when I put it together, I just wanted to make it look good and spooky and fit a mini on a 25mm square base (like Shefdu Sootootma). The results are ok and performed admirably on the battlefield.
The giant Cobra head for one of the horses came from the Sphynx Abomination. I added a false beard to the other normal skeleton horse. The mummy wrappings for the horses were thinly cut strips of masking tape that were then painted with watered down glue until they were sturdy. I used part of an old gift card to help extend the chariot width. Of course, this left a gap at the front that a tall ornate shield helped cover up.
on the round shield above I freehanded rough heiroglyphs for Hemati (the backstory for this chariot was that it belonged to an ancient Uraei Harbinger who Shefdu was obsessed with studying-more on that next time).  I almost forgot to mention the blue spectral hands coming out of the chariot at various points- these are the "haunted" part of the name. Instead of Gruesome Trophies I decided to go with scary spectral hands clawing from within.

Belkow we have the converted Chariot Driver- a Priestess of Isis mini with some minor conversion work. I still like the design on her dress.

One of the original Sphynx Abomination sculpts. I did not like the snake at the tip of his tail and chopped it off (eventually it was used for one of the horses for the chariot). I tried to make his wrapping metallic and they looked good at one time. Seeing him now I feel like he should get some major touchups.

Finally, my SECOND Sphynx Abomination (this one was actually dubbed a Nekharu Abomination). One month for my reinforcements I managed to roll another Abomination. Instead of getting the other Crocodile Games miniature for it I decided to use this old GW Greater Demon since it already had a vaguely Egyptian look to it. I added some wrappings and put the little Anubis statue on the base to help bring it more into the WarGods setting. Later on, during the Golden Fleece Campaign, he played a prominent role in the Nekharu Eater warband I ran.

We're almost 'done' with the Eater of the Dead figures, next up will be the Crypt Lords, Necromancers and Dark Harbingers!

No comments:

Post a Comment