Monday, October 21, 2019

Archive 3.2 - Eater of the Dead Part 2 - Warrior Mummies

While Horde Mummies are great speedbumps for opposing warbands, the real meat of an Eater of the Dead warband comes from the Warrior Mummies. I've got about as many of these revived warriors as I do the common rabble of the Horde Mummies...
The first Warrior Mummy unit I completed for that gateway Ankhara World Campaign was from Fortress Figures. They were plastic single pose mummies with axes. I had painted up a few before I got into the campaign, so again it was an easy task to get the rest of the unit painted up. There were 12 of the same pose I had originally painted up but over the years some of them wandered away.
Above, the Standard Bearer for the unit is the only different model I remember from the original unit composition. Below are some of the regular 2-handed axe-mummies. This unit was later dubbed "the Dread Axes" after their Crypt Lord leader, but we'll get into that lore later.

Above, you can see that they stand a bit raised on their 20mm bases because (like many several minis companies) these had integral bases. The last few of them were cut from those integral bases (it was pretty easy and I should really go back to do the others- nah) so they weren't as super tall.

Some additional Dread Axes slots were filled with these cool metal Egyptian-style Dwarf Mummies from some long-forgotten source. Like the Fortress Figures minis, these guys all had integral bases, so they're raised a bit off the 20mm bases too but they're short.
The Dwarf Mummy below is probably my favorite meber of this unit. I still think he came out pretty good.

The next Warrior Mummy unit is the (mostly) official Crocodile Games Spear Mummies. There were lots of variations among the official models but even then I had to do some conversions because that's one of my favorite parts of the hobby.
Above we have the two Asar sculpts from the unit- the main differences being color choices. My philosophy of the undead in most settings is to avoid matching uniforms because unless the Necromancer has raised the units from a recent battle they're going to be from a variety of backgrounds with different weapons and outfits. The second guy above was converted to be a Chariot Passenger as well as fit into the Spear Unit.
Above we have the two Anubi mummy sculpts with color choice again making them less matchy. The same with the Heru sculpt below.

Headswaps above and below on the Anubi and Asar bodies to give us some Tethru (my great Dark Harbinger for the Ankhara campaign, Shefdu Sootootma, was a Tethru so I needed to give him some Tethru guys in the warband. a Uraei (the cobra-headed guy below), and a Khemru. As with soem of the other Tehru mummy conversions, I liked to crinkle up the beak because it's a little disturbing and mummies are supposed to be scary, right?

Finally, the Standard Bearer for the Spear Mummies. The standard was converted with a bit from a Reaper mummy figure because I didn't like the original standard bit. I also gave him a plastic GW Tomb Kings shield.
partway through the Ankhara campaign I became obsessed with getting some archer mummies to shoot back at those annoying archers in other warbands (usually with flaming arrows which were very effective against dried corpses wrapped in cloth. Thus was born the Warrior Mummy Archer unit. Below are the first three conversions I did based on Horde Mummy bodies with bows from various sources.

Then I got a handful of the pre-production Crocodile Games Mummy Archer bodies (they didn't have heads yet because Chris was going to sculpt some different heads) and went to town! The three above have plastic GW heads. Below we have an olde Dark Eldar plastic head alongside a metal Tethru head from Corcodile Games. I know most of them don't have a quiver, but I'm not going to worry about that at this point, the bow is the most important part.

Finally, the last member of the Archer unit is a Spear-mummy with a pretty effective bow conversion (and I put a quiver on his back).
To help diversify the Warrior Mummy units I decided to convert some with hand weapon and shield to give even more flexibility on the battlefield. Most of these are spear-mummies with weapon and shield swaps. I like to think these are some of my best mummy conversions yet.


The conversion above is based on a Reaper miniature with a Crocodile Games Nekharu head and shield.

Above we've got a GW Tomb Kings mini with a Crocodile Gaes shield (probably my least favorite member of the whole Eater warband). Below are three mummies from Reaper that were useful to help fill out the hand weapon and shield unit.

Above is the Standard Bearer for the hand weapon and shield unit. A pretty simple conversion of an Anubi spear-mummy (the shield is a rare Crocodile Games piece from one of the early Asar miniatures). Below we have conversion of the generic Dark Harbinger miniature from Crocodile Games. I've used himas a Crypt Lord and a member of either the double handed weapon unit or the hand weapon and shield unit. He originally had a crook and flail but those bits were stolen to use in other conversions.

Above we've got a Crypt Lord who's been converted from holding a kopesh to having a spear so he can easily fit into the Spear Mummy unit. His shield was is froma Reaper mummy (they have a lot of cool shields and bits). Below is a heavily converted spear-mummy to be an archer Crypt Lord. I'm not sure where the cobra head came from (maybe an old Ral Partha snake?) but I know the mace is from a GW Tomb Kings figure and the bow and quiver were from the Crocodile Games weapons packs. It all came together to make a pretty dynamic miniature...
Coming up next are the special units and monsters for the massive Eater of the Dead warband(s).

No comments:

Post a Comment