Monday, July 13, 2020

WMM 2020 - War Altar of Dionysus

In the ongoing effort to complete the Dionysus Warband I used at GenCon 2019, we present the completed War Altar of Dionysus! Complete with Nymph Guards and a Satyr Priest. Below is the stand-in that was used for the War Altar in last year's games- A Reaper mini for the Priestess (she likely will still see duty as the Priest), two champions of Isis conversions from the Aegyptus line of figures as the Guards, and the Oracle figure rebased to act as representation of the altar.

I think this Satyr is from Metal Magic, but I could be wrong. He came on a despicable round integral base (he's metal) and it just had to go. A pretty simple paint job for him and he's ready to act as the priest or a musician for a satyr unit.

Above we have the new Satyr Priest entertaining the male Demigod of Dionysus. Below shows how the Satyr Priest and Priestess fit together with the Satyr Archers from Crocodile Games.

The War Altar itself went through many sketches that were ultimately abandoned in favor of this collection of amphorae on a patch of paving stones. One of the vessels has toppled over (part of a ritual?) and you can probably just make out the lightly tinted purple liquid puddling in front of it. I used some paint mixed into some UV resin to get the liquid effect. Sorry I couldn't get better photographs of it but it does look good.
Below we have the male and female Demigods of Dionysus enjoying the sacrifice...

I still have a few random Wargames Foundry Elven Nymphs, so I decided on a couple of them with spears to act as the War Altar Guards. Although there are no rules for Nymphs in warbands for WarGods of Olympus I think they work from a fluff perspective which I find much more important. She's got some wine stains on her cheeks because I thought it might look good- it's not as good as I hoped.

And here's the very pale Nymph Guard with some nice flowers on her spear. I decided not to give her any wine on her cheeks and I think that's the right choice. We'll say she's the more sensible of the Guards.
Below we've got the Demigod of Dionysus with the War Altar Nymph Guards. I wanted their cloth to match his violet as close as it could and I think they turned out okay...

No comments:

Post a Comment