Sunday, July 12, 2020

WarGods minis Month 2020 - Completed Amazon Raiders Unit


About a year in the making, the Amazon Raider Unit is finally done- magnets for 4 of the 5 riders and paint and basing materials for all. I don't think they're too bad- too bad there's no GenCon this year for them to ravage my opponents, because painted minis perform 7 times better than ones that are just primed...
Here we have the entire unit (including the unit "captain" on the white horse who is the only one to have survived last years GenCon adventure without a bent spear or loosened from her horse). I can't wait for them to charge into battle. I might even add a couple more sometime.

Since I try to avoid obvious uniforms and uniformity in my Aegyptus warbands I feel like my Olympians should be sort of like that too, especially the Amazons. So these two are in a sort of red scheme with read spears.

Redspear 1 was actually the second of the magnetized girls to get painted. I had done Bluespear 1 based mainly on what the unit captain had gotten. I liked that but wanted a bit of a change. Since the Harbinger bodyguards for the warband were painted one in blues and one in reds I decided that could be something that I could work into the warband's backstory eventually. Her shield was a cheat- I painted the whole thing the same red as the trim then after the wash simply brightened the trim back up but left the main shield that darkened color. It turned out pretty good.

Redspear 2 was a continuation of the red scheme because I kinda liked it. Her plume came out really nice. The spearhead (like Readspear 1's) is a colorshifting metallic steel because the blue colorshifting paint would've looked a little odd.

Now for the Bluespears, the bookends of the unit. I hadn't planned out poses or ranking or anything when the Raiders were assembled oh so long ago, the same goes for their paint schemes. It was actually a struggle to decide how they were going to look even after finally finishing the unit captain. These two just happen to be looking in opposite directions (when they are looking at each other it looks like they're arguing) so they're sort of like bookends.

Bluespear 1 took some time to figure out how she should look. Eventually I went with a similar scheme to the unit captain. It works.

Bluespear 2 was the final piece of the unit and is my favorite. While I was painting the second Redspear I was thinking about what to do with this one. She's the only one without chainmail skirts, so that was something different. I decided to give her pearlized armor just to make her stand out a little (the paint I used is called pearl and is sorta metallic). Her shield was another no-brainer because I wanted it to be different from Bluespear 1 so she got a nice deep blue background.

As the Amazon Raiders ride off into the sunset, WarGods Minis Month 2020 nears the inevitable end. It will see the completion of the units that made up the Dionysus Warband I used at GenCon 2019, plus some other stuff....

No comments:

Post a Comment